[Make-wifi-fast] Flent traffic direction convention

Erkki Lintunen erkki.lintunen at iki.fi
Tue Mar 31 09:48:49 EDT 2020

On 3/26/20 11:22 PM, Tim Higgins wrote:
> Second question: Is there any documentation that can help me figure out
> exactly what traffic is running in each test type?

Not exactly an answer to the question.

I found following pages very helpful when three years ago I challenged
myself with Flent to measure WiFi network performance and max it out
with network devices I had at hand at the time.

(One ap blew up it's two capasitors. Visually and operationally the ap
was working as normal but measurements showed drastic drop in
performance. Light odor and inspection of el-capasitor burned tops did
confirm the hard to believe experience.)

<https://www.bufferbloat.net/projects/bloat/wiki/RRUL_Chart_Explanation/>

The above page provides link to this page.

<https://burntchrome.blogspot.com/2016/12/cake-latest-in-sqm-qos-schedulers.html>

Experience showed up Flent's feature to compare data sets very educating
and powerfull, not only with the box-plot chart as the pages show. Took
time to get mentaly bend to read and interpret the Flent charts instead
of only numbers I was used to with iperf and other tools.

In my quest I did a change, measured it, compared to the previous set
and reviewed, if the change showed any measurable effect. Finally I
compared the sets of the very first and the last. I was totally driven
by measurements on my way myth busting many my beliefs for a performant
network.

The quest changed my definition for "getting max out of a network". Now
the max is all quantities in effect at any time: fairness, lowest
possible latency and highest possible bitrate. Looking at many published
benchmarks today, I still think, max seams to mean just a maximum
bitrate and other qualities are _supposed_ to derive from it.

Hope this is for any help.

- Erkki