[Make-wifi-fast] [Bloat] [Cake] dslreports is no longer free

Jannie Hanekom jannie at hanekom.net
Fri May 1 21:14:19 EDT 2020

Michael Richardson <mcr at sandelman.ca>:
> Does it find/use my nearest Netflix cache?

Thankfully, it appears so.  The DSLReports bloat test was interesting, but
the jitter on the ~240ms base latency from South Africa (and other parts of
the world) was significant enough that the figures returned were often
unreliable and largely unusable - at least in my experience.

Fast.com reports my unloaded latency as 4ms, my loaded latency as ~7ms and
mentions servers located in local cities.  I finally have a test I can share
with local non-technical people!

(Agreed, upload test would be nice, but this is a huge step forward from
what I had access to before.)

Jannie Hanekom