[Make-wifi-fast] [Bloat] [Cake] dslreports is no longer free

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Mon May 4 20:10:35 EDT 2020

On Mon, May 4, 2020 at 5:03 PM Bob McMahon via Bloat <
bloat at lists.bufferbloat.net> wrote:

> [...]

yea!

Try never to discard the outliers anywhere in the core tests. I always
point to this as a place where, if you stop thinking
the noise is noise, caused by bird droppings in your receiver, you find
structure where you thought it never existed before.

https://theconversation.com/the-cmb-how-an-accidental-discovery-became-the-key-to-understanding-the-universe-45126

A lot of times, just plotting the patterns of the outliers can be
interesting. It's often a lot of bird droppings to sort through!

Also, we're moving to socket write() to read() latencies for our end/end
> measurements (using the iperf 2.0.14 --trip-times option assumes
> synchronized clocks.). We also now measure TCP connects (3WHS) as well.

One thing that may or may not help is the sock_sent_lowat option.

I note that with SSL so common, it helps to be using that, rather than
straight tcp, so it's closer to a 5WHS

Yes, generating the crypto exchange costs time, but with that as a baseline
with the extra round trips...

> Finally, since we have trip times and the application write rates we can
> compute the amount of "end/end bytes in queue" per Little's law.

I will reserve comment on littles law for a bit.

For fault isolation, in-band network telemetry (or something similar) can

Make Music, Not War

Dave Täht
CTO, TekLibre, LLC
http://www.teklibre.com