[Make-wifi-fast] Why is my WiFi so bad?

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Wed May 6 13:05:07 EDT 2020

just once... in one major pub...

would I like bufferbloat to be identified as a root cause of home
networking problems. Just once. I'd figured
when vint cerf and jim and van and nick weaver all got on this root
cause back in 2011 that somehow
the concept and problem would have ended up in the public vernacular,
and then all the solutions now
deploying....

There's a lot of good advice here, actually:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2020/05/06/wifi-problems-questions/

bufferbloat so easy to fix nowadays[1], and still so badly
misunderstood. When you ISP has seconds of
buffering, or your wifi, your network goes to hell, but much of the
time, the problem is at
the isp, and it doesn't help to sit on top of the AP. I like to think
that cable is going to get a lot better with
deployment of the docsis-pie aqm....

best I can do I guess is point folk at the reddit threads on
bufferbloat and sqm for various routers, keep giving talks,
pointing at references like https://lwn.net/Articles/705884/ and the
more recent: https://gettys.wordpress.com/
pieces...

and just hope that more folk actually isolate the true causes of why
is the internet slow today, especially on cable access!
and dsl and shaped fiber. Bufferbloat (and the related jitter), really
messes up videoconferencing.

[1] and sigh, up until last week, so easy to test for via dslreports.com

--
Make Music, Not War

Dave Täht
CTO, TekLibre, LLC