[Make-wifi-fast] SmallNetBuilder article: Does OFDMA Really Work?

Erkki Lintunen erkki.lintunen at iki.fi
Fri May 15 02:47:15 EDT 2020

Hi,

thank you for the article, it provided interesting tidbits. What buffles
me (I'm just a smallnet builder not a wifi rf-chip designer or a wifi
firmware writer), why not a simple comparative benchmark between APs
from different generations? Say an AX router with OFDMA on (no need to
rely firmware does the best, if OFDMA set on or off, very interesting
that tests showed differences between OFDMA on/off and there is a
tertiary feature, I think, to switch it on/off as marketing material and
publications to be taken seriously tout OFDMA is a silver bullet WiFi6
written on it), an AC router with stock. latest and greatest firmware in
it and an AC router with OpenWRT and SQM/Cake in it. All tree put
through the same tests to reveal differences in throughput, latency,
airtime congestion between STAs and most importantly previous quatities
measured under maximum load.

- Erkki