[Make-wifi-fast] REPOSTED: SmallNetBuilder Article: Does OFDMA really work? Part 2

Bob McMahon bob.mcmahon at broadcom.com
Wed May 27 13:16:23 EDT 2020

I would make a small packet run too. For iperf2 use -l 40 and -b 20000pps
and vary the pps number. I would hope that OFDMA would increase this.

Also, don't forget about jitter - the derivative of latency. Some protocols
care more about jitter than they do latency.

I'd look into measuring the actual latency and jitter of the traffic vs
using a ping as a proxy. This will be supported in iperf 2.0.14 using the
write (server) side clock and --write-ack.  Better though is to synchronize
the clocks and use one way trip times. While I like to synchronize the
realtime clocks to the GPS atomic clock as the reference, using PTP and
synchronizing to a common reference of any PC oscillator may be good
enough. PTP stats will give you errors and corrections and per the
corrections one can get an idea of the error.

Thanks for posting. I really don't think OFDMA is going to affect such
large latencies in a noticeable manner. I think it will be the ultra low
latencies or near zero queuing that will matter.  For data center switches
this is driven mostly by high frequency traders. For WiFi it's going to be
newer games with VR/AR. Those latencies are going to need to be very low
compared to today's use cases.

my $0.02,

Bob