[Make-wifi-fast] Where is the bloat in WiFi?

Jonathan Morton chromatix99 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 6 09:21:29 EDT 2020

> On 6 Oct, 2020, at 3:44 pm, Toke Høiland-Jørgensen via Make-wifi-fast <make-wifi-fast at lists.bufferbloat.net> wrote:
>
> The worst are definitely LTE/mobile broadband connections. Wildly
> varying link speeds, and awful over-buffering; so you really have to
> clamp them down to get anything useful out of CAKE.

Out here in rural Finland, that's what I have to deal with.  Meanwhile the wifi bands are very quiet and I'm never far from the AP, so there is plenty of throughput there.  I'm sure there are cases with wired WAN and noisier wifi airspace where the wifi could often be the bottleneck.  The balance will vary for different people at different times.

But also you should consider the case of transferring files over wifi to/from some other machine on the LAN.  In that case the Internet connection doesn't matter, and the wifi will always be the bottleneck.

The lesson is that you need to address bloat everywhere in order to cover all possible use cases.

 - Jonathan Morton