[Make-wifi-fast] Make - fast - wifi project plan review from 2014....

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Fri Sep 18 12:05:43 EDT 2020

I recently had cause to go review the original make-wifi-fast project
plan ( https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Se36svYE1Uzpppe1HWnEyat_sAGghB3kE285LElJBW4/edit)

(and related presentation:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rb-UnHDw02o&t=25m30s had the fun bit)

I'm glad that since that time ATF and mesh networking became
realities, fq_codel and per station queuing gained support in various
products, and AQL started to work on ath10k, but I'm pretty sure
things in that document like rate and power aware scheduling
(minstrel-bluse), excessive counter based hw retries, and other
problems we identified back then are still problems, not to mention
the recent ofdma work....

I have been observing pretty bad behavior with a lot of 802.11ac
access points around, (recently one that
went 4Mbits over 40 feet through glass outdoors, but 600 indoors and
10 feet) but have nothing but guesses as to the causes. Infinite
retries? Everything on 160 mhz wide channels?

Has there been any good news or good tools lately?

I pulled my ax200s out of the box and was going to see if there was
any progress there.

--
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public
relations, for Mother Nature cannot be fooled" - Richard Feynman

dave at taht.net <Dave Täht> CTO, TekLibre, LLC Tel: 1-831-435-0729