[Make-wifi-fast] "cerowrt II" announced by nlnet

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Tue Dec 7 10:29:29 EST 2021

NLnet gave me a small grant to help fund at least a broad look at
what, if anything else, we could do on the fronts we care about.

https://nlnet.nl/project/CeroWRT-II/

Based on the promise of that grant (I got confirmation a few days ago)
for the last ~three months I'd been trying to scope out new work -
please see the openwrt forums for threads like:
https://forum.openwrt.org/t/cerowrt-ii-would-anyone-care/110554

Also: - we went off validating the nss hardware offload - looking at
packet captures - and I am still very low on ideas worth doing. And on
other people (paid or volunteer), interested in doing or funding them.

Some really interesting stuff has landed in the pending next stable
release of openwrt - the virtual time stuff went in, it's rumored
there is working
mu-mimo! The new mediatek chips look promising. But in all honesty the
future is very cloudy to me, and I have no intent (presently) to spin
up a branch per se, but to merely get one new feature in (better
hardware retries), to try and get on top of a wifi-6 chipset, and work
on a new tool (wtbb).

If only we could find steady, and significant funding this time
around... (this is more of a cerowrt II.000001 effort at this point).
I keep hoping more ISPs, and broadcom, in particular, would wake up to
their wifi problems. I'd love to see the eeros and the google wifi's
of the world working more closely with this community, too.

I think (lacking the pending testing) qualcom is in decent shape here,
and mediatek may well have leapfrogged them, for all I know. Intel
seems to be good, too, but they are not in the AP market. Ignorance,
however, is not bliss in my case. I want to *know*. :)

Thx, nlnet!

--
I tried to build a better future, a few times:
https://wayforward.archive.org/?site=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.icei.org

Dave Täht CEO, TekLibre, LLC