[Make-wifi-fast] [Bloat] [Cake] Fwd: [Galene] Dave on bufferbloat and jitter at 8pm CET Tuesday 23

Nils Andreas Svee me at lochnair.net
Thu Feb 25 19:32:39 EST 2021

On 2/25/21 11:30 AM, Toke Høiland-Jørgensen wrote:

> Ah, wireguard doesn't have XDP support, so that's likely not going to
> work; and if you run it on the physical interface, even if you didn't
> get driver errors, the tool would just see the encrypted packets which
> is not terribly helpful (it parses TCP timestamps to match
> incoming/outgoing packets and compute the RTT).

I figured that might be the case. Yes I would've disabled the VPN if I
didn't get driver errors.
I changed the network interface to use an emulated Intel E1000 tonight,
and if I bypass the VPN it works as it should.

> I guess we should be more flexible about which hooks we support, so it
> can also be used on devices with no XDP support. Adding in Simon, who is
> writing the code; I think he is focused on getting a couple of other
> features done first, but this could go on the TODO list :)

It's not like I'm in a hurry, and I'd probably need some time to figure
out how to tweak the CAKE parameters correctly with this anyway ;)

Speaking of, isn't one of the challenges with solutions like these that
it's hard to tell when conditions have improved and allow for more
throughput? At least that's what I remember being the issue when I
tested CAKE's autorate-ingress back in the day.

- Nils