[Make-wifi-fast] [Bloat] [Cake] Fwd: [Galene] Dave on bufferbloat and jitter at 8pm CET Tuesday 23

Bless, Roland (TM) roland.bless at kit.edu
Fri Feb 26 12:50:39 EST 2021

Hi Sebastian,

On 26.02.21 at 18:14 Sebastian Moeller wrote:
> are you sure that BBRv2 actually evaluates CE marks and responds to them? As far as I understood, BBR is simply not rfc3168 compliant, there was some talk about teaching BBRv2+ some still to be defined high frequency (low amplitude) ECN signaling.
AFAIK, BBRv2 reacts not in an RFC3168 compliant (classic) manner, but
more in a DCTCP style manner.
> The thing I fail to understand is, why BBR with its cavalier approach to drops did not grow ECN support on day one. While a drop could have a lot of reasons, including transient/stray wifi losses, a CE mark is less ambiguous.
Yes, it is. But as I understand the motivation for BBR's design,
they do not want to sacrifice throughput in case of non-congestion losses.
If you read the original BBR paper, one of its motivations was its use
in B4,
where Google operates shallow-buffered switches. Because of their small
buffer size,
they will cause occasional packet losses due to occurring short-term
traffic
aggregation effects, which are different from persistent congestion.

A traditional RED-based AQM may also generate CE marks in this
case and the "strong" backoff may cost too much utilization in the end
(esp. if you consider 100+Gbit/s links), so the DCTCP style is much more
scalable in this respect.

Regards,
  Roland