[Make-wifi-fast] Weird periodic latency

Bob McMahon bob.mcmahon at broadcom.com
Fri Jan 15 16:44:42 EST 2021

If you want to isolate wifi from the router CPU, connect a device
(raspberry pi 4 to the lan switch) and run tests.

Also, for more detailed testing, sync the clocks to the GPS atomic clock
using pulse per second <https://www.satsignal.eu/ntp/Raspberry-Pi-NTP.html>
and try out some iperf 2.1 <https://sourceforge.net/projects/iperf2/>new
features.

Bob

On Fri, Jan 15, 2021 at 11:33 AM Michael Yartys via Make-wifi-fast <
make-wifi-fast at lists.bufferbloat.net> wrote:

> On Friday, January 15th, 2021 at 20:10, Dave Taht <dave.taht at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > oops meant to cc the list
> >
> > On Fri, Jan 15, 2021 at 11:09 AM Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com wrote:

> netperf-eu.bufferbloat.net tcp_8down

> someone is streaming TV downstairs (via Ethernet!) and it really pollutes
> the results: https://imgur.com/a/F33LjeA
> > >
> > > I wouldn't say that pollutes the results, I'd say those are the
> > >
> > > typical and terrible results most users get when trying to do more
> > >
> > > than one thing at once on wifi or over the internet. Also it helps to
> > >
> > > have sqm on your isp updownlink, especially with netflix as it is
> > >
> > > bursty as heck
> > >
> > > I do not know if aql is enabled on that chipset. To my eye, it isn't,
> > >
> > > but the induced latency isn't quite high enough to represent what I
> > >
> > > viewed as the baseline problems.
>
> Yup, AQL is enabled on this chipset, and I also have SQM piece_of_cake
> enabled to 50/50 mbps. I ran another test and made sure that there was no
> significant activity on the wireless network before I started it. Here are
> the results: https://imgur.com/a/7MzMVVJ
>
> And the ping to 1.1.1.1 has the same shape: https://imgur.com/a/drcTGfv
>
> Looks quite weird to me with all the oscillating latency spikes.
> > >
> > > https://forum.openwrt.org/t/aql-and-the-ath10k-is-lovely/59002
> > >
> > > Do a packet capture at the AP and look for multciast bursts especially
>
> I think I'll have to find a moment where I have the network to myself
> again to be able to properly test things and figure out what might be
> causing this stuff. I'll probably do a packet capture at some point.
>

> > > And I keep trying to set aside time to go deep on AQL again, as the
> > >
> > > 7800 is a pretty popular box...

This electronic communication and the information and any files transmitted
with it, or attached to it, are confidential and are intended solely for
the use of the individual or entity to whom it is addressed and may contain
information that is confidential, legally privileged, protected by privacy
laws, or otherwise restricted from disclosure to anyone else. If you are
not the intended recipient or the person responsible for delivering the
e-mail to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any use,
copying, distributing, dissemination, forwarding, printing, or copying of
this e-mail is strictly prohibited. If you received this e-mail in error,
please return the e-mail to the sender, delete it from your computer, and
destroy any printed copy of it.