[Make-wifi-fast] AQL patch

Michael Yartys michael.yartys at protonmail.com
Sun Jan 24 14:48:40 EST 2021

Hi, Dave

A couple of days back you talked about wanting to send in a patch to OpenWrt to lower the CoDel target in AQL to 10 ms. I was thinking about taking a shot at doing it myself, and I was looking at the patch you provided in the AQL discussion thread on the OpenWrt forum for some pointers: https://forum.openwrt.org/t/aql-and-the-ath10k-is-lovely/59002/80

I'm having some questions about the following part:

-       if (thr && thr < STA_SLOW_THRESHOLD * sta->local->num_sta) {
-               sta->cparams.target = MS2TIME(50);
-               sta->cparams.interval = MS2TIME(300);
-               sta->cparams.ecn = false;
-       } else {
-               sta->cparams.target = MS2TIME(20);
-               sta->cparams.interval = MS2TIME(100);
-               sta->cparams.ecn = true;
-       }
+       sta->cparams.target = MS2TIME(5);
+       sta->cparams.interval = MS2TIME(100);
+       sta->cparams.ecn = true;

So in this part the code has a different target and interval when the throughput is low than when it's high. In addition ECN is disabled at low rates. You patch simply removes this in favour of keeping ECN on and having a set target and interval regardless of rate. Is this the right way of doing it, or should a patch ideally keep the rate dependent logic but change the targets and intervals? In that case we should probably do some more testing and tuning to figure out the right values.

Michael