[Make-wifi-fast] Fwd: [bbr-dev] BBR performance and optimization in cellular wireless network with high delay jitter

Bob McMahon bob.mcmahon at broadcom.com
Tue Jul 6 16:34:37 EDT 2021

Curious to the idea of wifi providing the opposite of ECN, i.e. my rate
selection algorithm just went from one stream to two stream so TCP speed up
your feedback loop decisions with a bias to faster?

Bob

On Mon, Jul 5, 2021 at 10:20 AM Dave Taht <dave.taht at gmail.com> wrote:

> eric, I thought I'd forward this to one of the bufferbloat.net lists.
> Feel free to join. It would also be helpful to duplicate your test scripts
> here.
>
> I agree with you, bbr is way too slow here. We see it bloat massively in
> wifi also. I would like BBR to far more reactive than it is, and also for
> it to respond to RFC3168 ECN marks.
>
> You said:
>
> *" *In my opinion, in high bw jitter scenario, window based bw undaption
> method is too slow to converge to the actual bottleneck bw,  when actual bw
> imcreases, BBR needs at lease 8RTT to catch it, when it decreases, BBR then
> needs at most 10 RTT to expire the previous bw maximum, anyway it is too
> slow, causing severe buffer-bloating. "
>
> You might find the "flent" tool very useful for getting a more microscopic
> view as to what is going on.
>
> A test we would use to get a better picture of what is really going on
> would be
>
> flent -H netperf_test_server -x --socket-stats --step-size=.05 -t
> the_test_conditions --te=cc_algo=bbr --te=upload_streams=1 tcp_nup
>
> This samples a ton of tcp related stats and lets you plot them with
> flent-gui, there are 110 other tests in the suite.
>
> A more complicated invocation can get qdisc stats from the router
> involved, or iterate over CCs, or run at longer intervals. In general I
> have found running tests for 5 minutes or longer reveal interesting
> behaviors.
>
> flent -H $S --socket-stats -x --step-size=.05 -t
> 1-flow-fq_starlink_noecn-${M}-c
>
> c=${CC} --te=cpu_stats_hosts=$R --te=netstat_hosts=$R -4
> --te=qdisc_stats_hosts=
>
> $RS --te=qdisc_stats_interfaces=$RV --te=upload_streams=1 --te=cc_algo=$CC
> tcp_1
>
> up
>

> pic below

This electronic communication and the information and any files transmitted
with it, or attached to it, are confidential and are intended solely for
the use of the individual or entity to whom it is addressed and may contain
information that is confidential, legally privileged, protected by privacy
laws, or otherwise restricted from disclosure to anyone else. If you are
not the intended recipient or the person responsible for delivering the
e-mail to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any use,
copying, distributing, dissemination, forwarding, printing, or copying of
this e-mail is strictly prohibited. If you received this e-mail in error,
please return the e-mail to the sender, delete it from your computer, and
destroy any printed copy of it.