[Make-wifi-fast] Fwd: [bbr-dev] BBR performance and optimization in cellular wireless network with high delay jitter

Neal Cardwell ncardwell at google.com
Thu Jul 8 14:45:25 EDT 2021

On Tue, Jul 6, 2021 at 7:49 PM Bob McMahon <bob.mcmahon at broadcom.com> wrote:

> Thanks for this. Looks interesting. Does ABC (love the acronym) try to
> optimize throughput, latency or some combination, e.g. network power
> (throughput/delay)?

ABC tries to optimize both throughput and delay, though the paper does not
mention power specifically.

> Things like roams, seen energy over the last n milliseconds, and "I've
> lost n TXOP arbitrations over time y" could also have influence on the
> control feedback loop to TCP.  Not sure how TCP gets any of these stats.
>
> None of this is end/end though. It's likely just the last/first hop which
> I think is probably still useful to TCP designers - not sure.

The paper explains their scheme to convey the accelerate/break signals from
bottlenecks using the ECN bits, and then have the TCP receiver echo them to
the TCP sender using the historic "NS" bit.

neal