[Make-wifi-fast] [Bloat] Little's Law mea culpa, but not invalidating my main point

Ben Greear greearb at candelatech.com
Mon Jul 12 15:07:44 EDT 2021

Measuring one or a few links provides a bit of data, but seems like if someone is trying to understand
a large and real network, then the OWD between point A and B needs to just be input into something much
more grand.  Assuming real-time OWD data exists between 100 to 1000 endpoint pairs, has anyone found a way
to visualize this in a useful manner?

Also, considering something better than ntp may not really scale to 1000+ endpoints, maybe round-trip
time is only viable way to get this type of data.  In that case, maybe clever logic could use things
like trace-route to get some idea of how long it takes to get 'onto' the internet proper, and so estimate
the last-mile latency.  My assumption is that the last-mile latency is where most of the pervasive
assymetric network latencies would exist (or just ping 8.8.8.8 which is 20ms from everywhere due to
$magic).

Endpoints could also triangulate a bit if needed, using some anchor points in the network
under test.

Thanks,
Ben

--