[Make-wifi-fast] New Realtek driver 802.11ax, with FQ-CoDel support!

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Thu Nov 18 18:52:36 EST 2021

I am hoping I can finally retire my ath9k and ath10k chips by next
christmas. Apparently amd is leveraging the mediatek MT7921K chip.

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/mediatek-and-amd-team-up-on-wi-fi-6e-chips-for-next-gen-ryzen-pcs

On Tue, Oct 12, 2021 at 7:17 AM Toke Høiland-Jørgensen via
Make-wifi-fast <make-wifi-fast at lists.bufferbloat.net> wrote:

> Rich Brown <richb.hanover at gmail.com> writes:
>
> >> On Oct 9, 2021, at 12:00 PM, make-wifi-fast-request at lists.bufferbloat.net wrote:
> >>
> >> In the process of being upstreamed:
> >>
> >> https://lore.kernel.org/r/20211008035627.19463-1-pkshih@realtek.com <https://lore.kernel.org/r/20211008035627.19463-1-pkshih@realtek.com>

> > This is so cool! A couple questions:
> >
> > 1) I have lost track: what drivers now incorporate FQ-CoDel?
>
> $ cd drivers/net/wireless && git grep -l wake_tx_queueath/ath10k/mac.c
> ath/ath9k/ath9k.h
> ath/ath9k/main.c
> ath/ath9k/xmit.c
> intel/iwlwifi/mvm/mac80211.c
> mediatek/mt76/mt76.h
> mediatek/mt76/mt7603/main.c
> mediatek/mt76/mt7615/main.c
> mediatek/mt76/mt76x0/pci.c
> mediatek/mt76/mt76x0/usb.c
> mediatek/mt76/mt76x2/pci_main.c
> mediatek/mt76/mt76x2/usb_main.c
> mediatek/mt76/mt7915/main.c
> mediatek/mt76/mt7921/main.c
> mediatek/mt76/tx.c
> realtek/rtw88/mac80211.c
>
> > 2) How can we talk about this in OpenWrt (and elsewhere...)?
> >       - Is it correct/reasonable/sensible to say that the fq_codel wifi drivers are "good" while the others are "not-so-good"
> >       - Does the presence of a chip/driver from 1) above indicate a more desirable device?
> >       - Or is it more nuanced?
>
> For just the FQ-codel in driver support, yeah, I think it's fair to say
> that it's unambiguously "better".
>
> -Toke

I tried to build a better future, a few times:
https://wayforward.archive.org/?site=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.icei.org

Dave Täht CEO, TekLibre, LLC