[Make-wifi-fast] resuming the right to repair fight in particular

Кирилл Луконин klukonin at gmail.com
Mon Oct 4 14:57:18 EDT 2021

There is a big another issue. Even if we work with softMAC driver, it can
ignore or override wireless-regdb.

For example, iwlfifi could advertise, but ignore MCS 9-11 according to LAR
decision. More then that, LAR can spread it's logic and disable some
channels globally for all systems.

That's why, for example, if somebody use both QCA and Intel Wi-Fi modules,
the last one will force right use it's settings through cfg80211 API.

So there is a huge issue in kernel restrictions and rules, I think.
Where wireless API is mostly developed by... Intel.
More transparency and fairness required there, I think. No kernel module
should be able to become a dictator.

What about a certification process, well, I saw the dark side.
Certification firmwares are very-very-very far from regular firmwares.
That's how it works today.
FCC can certify a product, but then it's firmware cold be modified without
any control from FCC.
FCC tries to do the best they can with AFC (I think).
But today there are no any mechanisms to
1) Force vendors to use regular firmware for certification
2) Certify firmware updates.

We'll have to invent something about that.

Best regards,
Kirill Lukonin