[Make-wifi-fast] New Realtek driver 802.11ax, with FQ-CoDel support!

Rich Brown richb.hanover at gmail.com
Sat Oct 9 20:09:37 EDT 2021

> On Oct 9, 2021, at 12:00 PM, make-wifi-fast-request at lists.bufferbloat.net wrote:
>
> In the process of being upstreamed:
>
> https://lore.kernel.org/r/20211008035627.19463-1-pkshih@realtek.com <https://lore.kernel.org/r/20211008035627.19463-1-pkshih@realtek.com>
>
>> This driver named rtw89, which is the next generation of rtw88, supports
>> Realtek 8852AE 802.11ax 2x2 chip whose new features are OFDMA, DBCC,
>> Spatial reuse, TWT and BSS coloring; now some of them aren't implemented
>> though.

This is so cool! A couple questions:

1) I have lost track: what drivers now incorporate FQ-CoDel?

2) How can we talk about this in OpenWrt (and elsewhere...)?
	- Is it correct/reasonable/sensible to say that the fq_codel wifi drivers are "good" while the others are "not-so-good"
	- Does the presence of a chip/driver from 1) above indicate a more desirable device?
	- Or is it more nuanced?

Thanks.

Rich