[Make-wifi-fast] the panda flow-dissector

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Sun Oct 24 12:24:30 EDT 2021

The flow-dissector in linux is the unsung hero of our fq+aqm world.
It's also heavily used for receive packet steering (to shift a flow to
another core) and in tc-flower, and can deeply inspect a packet to
find the real 5 tuple, among other things. We are very used to, in the
linux world, to having that hash always available.

So far as I know BSD's equivalent is considerably weaker, as are the
offloads people are attempting in p4, and in qualcomm's nss hardware
offloads. Anyway, as it is large, and fragile code,
there is now a (bsd 2-clause) panda packet parser generator over here:
https://github.com/panda-net/panda

... that could possibly be retargetted at those environments as well
as one day replace and unify the existing flow dissector codes.

Tom Herbert talks to it in detail here. See the spaghetti for why this
is needed in more places.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVnmVDSEoXc

--
Fixing Starlink's Latencies: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9gLo6Xrwgw