[Make-wifi-fast] [Starlink] TCP_NOTSENT_LOWAT applied to e2e TCP msg latency

Bob McMahon bob.mcmahon at broadcom.com
Tue Oct 26 13:23:28 EDT 2021

Hi Bjørn,

I find, when possible, it's preferred to take telemetry data of actual
traffic (or reads and writes) vs a proxy. We had a case where TCP BE was
outperforming TCP w/VI because BE had the most engineering resources
assigned to it and engineers did a better job with BE. Using a proxy
protocol wouldn't have exercised the same logic paths (in this case it was
in the L2 driver) as TCP did. Hence, measuring actual TCP traffic (or
socket reads and socket writes) was needed to flush out the problem. Note:
I also find that network engineers tend to focus on the stack but it's the
e2e at the application level that impacts user experience. Send side bloat
can drive the OWD while the TCP stack's RTT may look fine. For WiFi test &
measurements, we've decided most testing should be using TCP_NOSENT_LOWAT
because it helps mitigate send side bloat which WiFi engineering doesn't
focus on per lack of ability to impact.

Also, I think OWD is under tested and two way based testing can give
incomplete and inaccurate information, particularly with respect to things
like an e2e transport's control loop.  A most obvious example is assuming
1/2 RTT is the same as OWD to/fro. For WiFi this assumption is most always
false. It also false for many residential internet connections where OWD
asymmetry is designed in.

Bob

On Tue, Oct 26, 2021 at 3:04 AM Bjørn Ivar Teigen <bjorn at domos.no> wrote:

> [...]
>> using 802.11ax trigger frames so the AP is affecting the end/end BDP per
>> scheduling the transmits and the acks. The AP can grow the BDP or shrink it
>> based on these scheduling decisions.  From there we're trying to maximize
>> network power (throughput/delay) for elephant flows and just latency for
>> mouse flows. (We also plan some RF frequency stuff to per OFDMA) Anyway,
>> the AP based scheduling along with aggregation and OFDMA makes WiFi
>> scheduling optimums non-obvious - at least to me - and I'm trying to
>> provide insights into how an AP is affecting end/end performance.
>>
>> The more direct approach for e2e TCP latency and network power has been
>> to measure first write() to final read() and compute the e2e delay. This
>> requires clock sync on the ends. (We're using ptp4l with GPS OCXO
>> atomic references for that but this is typically only available in some
>> labs.)
>>
>> Bob
>>

>> On Mon, Oct 25, 2021 at 8:11 PM Stuart Cheshire <cheshire at apple.com>
>> wrote:

>>> latency w/iperf 2 from the sender side w/o requiring e2e clock
>>> synchronization. I thought I'd try to use the TCP_NOTSENT_LOWAT event to
>>> help with this. It seems that this event goes off when the bytes are in
>>> flight vs have reached the destination network stack. If that's the case,
>>> then iperf 2 client (sender) may be able to produce the message latency by
>>> adding the drain time (write start to TCP_NOTSENT_LOWAT) and the sampled
>>> RTT.

>>> I’m not 100% sure what you’re asking, but I will try to help.
>>>
>>> When you set TCP_NOTSENT_LOWAT, the TCP implementation won’t report your
>>> endpoint as writable (e.g., via kqueue or epoll) until less than that
>>> threshold of data remains unsent. It won’t stop you writing more bytes if
>>> you want to, up to the socket send buffer size, but it won’t *ask* you for
>>> more data until the TCP_NOTSENT_LOWAT threshold is reached. In other words,
>>> the TCP implementation attempts to keep BDP bytes in flight +
>>> TCP_NOTSENT_LOWAT bytes buffered and ready to go. The BDP of bytes in
>>> flight is necessary to fill the network pipe and get good throughput. The
>>> TCP_NOTSENT_LOWAT of bytes buffered and ready to go is provided to give the
>>> source software some advance notice that the TCP implementation will soon
>>> be looking for more bytes to send, so that the buffer doesn’t run dry,
>>> thereby lowering throughput. (The old SO_SNDBUF option conflates both
>>> “bytes in flight” and “bytes buffered and ready to go” into the same
>>> number.)
>>>
>>> If you wait for the TCP_NOTSENT_LOWAT notification, write a chunk of n
>>> bytes of data, and then wait for the next TCP_NOTSENT_LOWAT notification,
>>> that will tell you roughly how long it took n bytes to depart the machine.
>>> You won’t know why, though. The bytes could depart the machine in response
>>> for acks indicating that the same number of bytes have been accepted at the
>>> receiver. But the bytes can also depart the machine because CWND is
>>> growing. Of course, both of those things are usually happening at the same