[Make-wifi-fast] [Cake] [Starlink] [Cerowrt-devel] Due Aug 2: Internet Quality workshop CFP for the internet architecture board

David P. Reed dpreed at deepplum.com
Thu Sep 2 13:36:33 EDT 2021

I just want to thank Dick Roy for backing up the arguments I've been making about physical RF communications for many years, and clarifying terminology here. I'm not the expert - Dick is an expert with real practical and theoretical experience - but what I've found over the years is that many who consider themselves "experts" say things that are actually nonsense about radio systems.

It seems to me that Starlink is based on a propagation model that is quite simplistic, and probably far enough from correct that what seems "obvious" will turn out not to be true. That doesn't stop Musk and cronies from asserting these things as absolute truths (backed by actual professors, especially professors of Economics like Coase, but also CS professors, network protocol experts, etc. who aren't physicists or practicing RF engineers).

The fact is that we don't really know how to build a scalable LEO system. Models can be useful, but a model can be a trap that causes even engineers to be cocky. Or as the saying goes, a Clear View doesn't mean a Short Distance.

If there are 40 satellites serving 10,000 ground terminals simultaneously, exactly what is the propagation environment like? I can tell you one thing: if the phased array is digitized at some sample rate and some equalization and some quantization, the propagation REALLY matters in serving those 10,000 ground terminals scattered randomly on terrain that is not optically flat and not fully absorbent.

So how will Starlink scale? I think we literally don't know. And the modeling matters.

Recently a real propagation expert (Ted Rapaport and his students) did a study of how well 70 GHz RF signals propagate in an urban environment - Brooklyn.  The standard model would say that coverage would be terrible! Why? Because supposedly 70 GHz is like visible light - line of sight is required or nothing works.

But in fact, Ted, whom I've known from being on the FCC Technological Advisory Committee (TAC) together when it was actually populated with engineers and scientists, not lobbyists, discovered that scattering and diffraction at 70 GHz in an urban environment significantly expands coverage of a single transmitter. Remarkably so. Enough that "cellular architecture" doesn't make sense in that propagation environment.

So all the professional experts are starting from the wrong place, and amateurs perhaps even more so.

I hope Starlink views itself as a "research project". I'm afraid it doesn't - partly driven by Musk, but equally driven by the FCC itself, which demands that before a system is deployed that the entire plan be shown to work (which would require a "model" that is actually unknowable because something like this has never been tried). This is a problem with today's regulation of spectrum - experiments are barred, both by law, and by competitors who can claim your system will destroy theirs and not work.

But it is also a problem when "fans" start setting expectations way too high. Like claiming that Starlink will eliminate any need for fiber. We don't know that at all!