[Make-wifi-fast] [Rpm] make-wifi-fast 2016 & crusader

rjmcmahon rjmcmahon at rjmcmahon.com
Wed Dec 7 14:28:43 EST 2022

Hi Sebastian,

Per Aristotle: "That which is common to the greatest number gets the
least amount of care. Men pay most attention to what is their own: they
care less for what is common."

I think a challenge for many of us providing open source tooling is the
lack of resource support to supply goods for all. Both the iperf 2 and
iperf 3 teams are under-resourced so we try not to duplicate each other
too much except for where that duplication adds value (e.g. having two
independently written socket measurement tools.) The iperf 3 team has
provided public servers, I think at their costs.

I've been holding off on iperf 2 public servers until I found an
additional value add and a way to pay for them. Much of the iperf 2 work
has been around one way delay (OWD) or latency. Doing this well requires
GPS clock sync on both the data center servers and the end host devices.
I checked into this a few years ago and found that this level of clock
sync wasn't available via rented servers (e.g. linode or Hurricane
Electric) so I put on hold any further investigation of public servers
for iperf 2 as being redundant with iperf 3. Those that need true e2e
latency (vs RTTs) have to build their own so-to-speak.

I know of two nonprofit measurement labs being mlabs and ripe (there may
be more) that could take an interest but neither has:

https://www.ripe.net/
https://www.measurementlab.net/

There could be a market opportunity for somebody to build a measurement
system in the cloud that supported any generic sensors and could signal
anomalies. Then one could connect iperf 2 public servers to that as an
offering.

Note: Some GPS atomic clock options for RPi:
https://store.uputronics.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=81
https://store.timebeat.app/products/gnss-raspberry-pi-cm4-module?variant=41934772764843

Also needed is the latest iperf 2 on an openwrt router. Better may be to
have that router also run ptp4l or equivalent and behave as a PTP
grandmaster.

Unfortunately, my day job requires me to focus on "shareholder
interests" and, in that context, it's very difficult to provide public
goods that are nonrivalrous and nonexcludable.
https://tinyurl.com/mr63p52k

Finally, we all have to deal with "why we sleep" in order to be most
productive (despite what Mr. Musk thinks.)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Why_We_Sleep

and there are only so many "awake hours" for us "non-exceptional"
engineers ;-) (A joke, everybody has value by my book.)

Thanks,
Bob