[Make-wifi-fast] ssid overheads measured

Harshal Chhaya harshal at gmail.com
Fri Dec 9 17:07:39 EST 2022

On Fri, Dec 9, 2022 at 11:53 AM Dave Taht via Make-wifi-fast <
make-wifi-fast at lists.bufferbloat.net> wrote:

> I knew it was bad, but had not really measured it before...
>
> https://travelingpacket.com/2020/04/16/802-11-ssid-overhead-and-impact/

This is pretty cool to see. Thanks for sharing.

Many years ago I worked on a classroom wifi system for high schools with
each room having its own AP. Each client was typically in the range of 4-6
APs and each classroom had 30-40 clients. You can imagine the probe
response floods when they would all try to find their own network. :O

We added a wired configuration step over USB to make sure all clients were
configured to their own AP to reduce the overhead and problems that came
with devices wrongly connecting to the AP in the neighboring class.

It felt odd to tell the user to first connect over USB to configure the
wireless connection but it greatly help reduce errors and improved the
customer experience.

Regards,
- Harshal