[Make-wifi-fast] Update the home page to Make Wifi Fast?

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Fri Dec 30 14:21:47 EST 2022

A bit ranty below. I did set out this christmas to finally kill the
last fq_codel vs wifi set of bugs I knew about... only to encounter
another, new one.

On Fri, Dec 30, 2022 at 4:57 AM Rich Brown via Make-wifi-fast
<make-wifi-fast at lists.bufferbloat.net> wrote:

> I wanted to cite the Make Wifi Fast home page (https://www.bufferbloat.net/projects/make-wifi-fast/wiki/) in a Reddit posting, but didn't. It seems to refer to four-year old information (from 2018)

I hoped more C suite folk would read the project plan... back then...

> Could someone who knows more than I do update the page to indicate current status?

I have been trying to get my workflow improved to work on the
website(s) again. It's on my top 4 things of things to do next year.
First up tho, is getting back above the poverty line.

I was (and remain) very burned out on wifi in general; the failure to
find further funding for that project, after our inital successes,
still hurts. Seeing it finally deploy 4 years later - in openwifi, and
elsewhere - to rave reviews - is a high, but we had so much left to
do...

I do point people to toke's paper and the graphs there
https://www.cs.kau.se/tohojo/airtime-fairness/

rather than make-wifi-fast.

https://lwn.net/Articles/705884/

I would LOVE it if make-wifi-fast could be a thing again, but I often
suffer from a lot of PTSD, being unwilling to suck all that data into
my head again, even reflashing a router takes dedication - and wish
there would be some sort of corporate takeover of the project's goals
outlined there, more than wanting to drive it again myself.  Meta,
anyone? Some group of ISPs that recognize that without wifi working
well, celluar will eat their lunch? Some set of governments that use
wifi? I find it mind boggling always that there is so little
investment or investigation into how well wifi is working...

Moving to the website...

A problem I have in touting our successes then, is the reality now, is
back to being... not as good as it could be, on at least a few new
products. I did get a nice new chromebook (which doesn't let me hack
the OS at all) over christmas, and a wifi6 AP, running openwrt
head.... and it looks like this... AND I CAN'T TAKE A PACKET CAPTURE
OF THE !@#!@ air from the chromebook because I'm on the wrong side of
a container jail, and

Anyway, I did hack out the most bothersome set of bugs we had left
over from heaving make-wifi-fast over the wall, but this bug aint
it... we're seeing very few drops from codel, and this enormous
latency spike every 5 seconds....

I HOPE this is multicast... but I can't get at the data with the wifi6
box I have... Iv'e seen apple products do similar weird periodic
things like this, probing for a p2p connection while messing up
everything else. I'd hate it if this "facility" had made it into
chromebooks too.

> Another thought: Do we have a one-page summary that shows the benefits of using these techniques? I bet a couple paragraphs paired with a few of the published charts could be compelling. Thanks.

Is there any chance, from anywhere, there would be some sustainable
funding if we sunk more time into it, and I dropped my cynicism for
long enough to feel positive again about the future of it?