[Make-wifi-fast] [bbr-dev] Aggregating without bloating - hard times for tcp and wifi

Neal Cardwell ncardwell at google.com
Tue Nov 22 15:10:23 EST 2022

On Tue, Nov 22, 2022 at 2:43 PM 'Bob McMahon' via BBR Development <
bbr-dev at googlegroups.com> wrote:

> Thanks for sharing this. Curious about how the xTSQ value can be set? Can
> it be done with sysctl?
>
> *We continue our analysis by using the ms-version of TSQ patch, which
> enables the tune of the TSQ size allowing each TCP variant to enqueue more
> than 1 ms of data at the current TCP rate. In particular, we allow to
> enqueue the equivalent of x ms of data, naming each test xTSQ, with x being
> an integer value. It is important to notice that this patch has been
> included in the Linux kernel mainline, and each Wi-Fi driver can now set
> the desired xTSQ value**.*

I believe they are setting the xTSQ value using the sk_pacing_shift field,
which was added here:

https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/commit/?id=3a9b76fd0db9f0d426533f96a68a62a58753a51e

AFAIK the intent is only for drivers to set that, and there's no sysctl for
that, but of course you could add a sysctl for testing if you wanted. :-)

cheers,
neal