[Make-wifi-fast] [Cake] [Bloat] The most wonderful video ever about bufferbloat

Sebastian Moeller moeller0 at gmx.de
Mon Oct 10 05:40:21 EDT 2022

Hi Erik,

> On Oct 10, 2022, at 11:32, Taraldsen Erik <erik.taraldsen at telenor.no> wrote:
>
> On 10/10/2022, 11:09, "Sebastian Moeller" <moeller0 at gmx.de> wrote:
>
>    Nice!
>
>> On Oct 10, 2022, at 07:52, Taraldsen Erik via Cake <cake at lists.bufferbloat.net> wrote:
>>
>> It took about 3 hours from the video was release before we got the first request to have SQM on the CPE's  we manage as a ISP.  Finally getting some customer response on the issue.
>
>    	[SM] Will you be able to bump these requests to higher-ups and at least change some perception of customer demand for tighter latency performance?
>
> That would be the hope.

	[SM} Excellent, hope this plays out as we wish for.

>  We actually have fq_codel implemented on the two latest generations of DSL routers.  Use sync rate as input to set the rate.  Works quite well.

	[SM] Cool, if I might ask what fraction of the sync are you setting the traffic shaper for and are you doing fine grained overhead accounting (or simply fold that into a grand "de-rating"-factor)?

> There is also a bit of traction around speedtest.net's inclusion of latency under load internally.

	[SM] Yes, although IIUC they are reporting the interquartile mean for the two loaded latency estimates, which is pretty conservative and only really "triggers" for massive consistently elevated latency; so I expect this to be great for detecting really bad cases, but I fear it is too conservative and will make a number of problematic links look OK. But hey, even that is leaps and bounds better than the old only idle latency report.

> My hope is that some publication in Norway will pick up on that score and do a test and get some mainstream publicity with the results.

	[SM] Inside the EU the challenge is to get national regulators and the BEREC to start bothering about latency-under-load at all, "some mainstream publicity" would probably help here as well.

Regards
	Sebastian