[Make-wifi-fast] [Bloat] A quick report from the WISPA conference

Bob McMahon bob.mcmahon at broadcom.com
Thu Oct 20 13:59:35 EDT 2022

Iperf on the Router/AP CPU sources and sinks traffic. The Router/AP
hardware acceleration forwards traffic. These can be very different logic
subsystems.

One can sometimes connect a computer to the wired LAN port and measure
traffic between WiFi and the wired LAN port to get forwarding performance.

Also, the iperf 2 <https://sourceforge.net/projects/iperf2/> bounceback
feature, using low duty cycle traffic, may be sufficient to give WiFi
responsiveness metrics even with the Router CPU sourcing and sinking the
traffic.  Your mileage will vary applies.

Bob

On Thu, Oct 20, 2022 at 8:57 AM Sebastian Moeller via Make-wifi-fast <
make-wifi-fast at lists.bufferbloat.net> wrote:

> Hi Jeremy,
>
> On 20 October 2022 16:50:43 CEST, Jeremy Harris via Make-wifi-fast <
> make-wifi-fast at lists.bufferbloat.net> wrote:
> >On 20/10/2022 10:01, Sebastian Moeller via Make-wifi-fast wrote:
> >> [SM] IIRC some router SoC allow higher routing throughput than they can
> sink or source bulk traffic with iperf. This is especially pronounced in
> routers that use soft- and especially hardware acceleration
> >
> >Why do you think that iperf traffic will not be accelerated?
>
> [SM] Because for sending and receiving data in the iperf application the
> CPU has to handle the traffic, while accelerator mainly work by having the
> CPU touch the data as little as possible/not at all.
>
> Regards
>         Sebastian

This electronic communication and the information and any files transmitted
with it, or attached to it, are confidential and are intended solely for
the use of the individual or entity to whom it is addressed and may contain
information that is confidential, legally privileged, protected by privacy
laws, or otherwise restricted from disclosure to anyone else. If you are
not the intended recipient or the person responsible for delivering the
e-mail to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any use,
copying, distributing, dissemination, forwarding, printing, or copying of
this e-mail is strictly prohibited. If you received this e-mail in error,
please return the e-mail to the sender, delete it from your computer, and
destroy any printed copy of it.