[Make-wifi-fast] A quick report from the WISPA conference

Sina Khanifar sina at waveform.com
Tue Oct 18 13:17:20 EDT 2022

> I can't help but wonder tho... are you collecting any statistics, over
> time, as to how much better the problem is getting?

We are collecting anonymized data, but we haven't analyzed it yet. If we get a bit of time we'll look at that hopefully.

> And any chance they could do something similar explaining wifi?

I'm actually not exactly sure what mitigations exist for WiFi at the moment - is there something I can read?

On this note: when we were building our test one of the things we really wished existed was a standardized way to test latency and throughput to routers. It would be super helpful if there was a standard in consumer routers that allowed users to both ping and fetch 0kB fils from their routers, and also run download/upload tests.

T-Mobile has signed up 1m+ people to their new Home Internet over 5G, and all of them have really meaningful bufferbloat issues. I've been pointing folks who reach out to this thread ( https://forum.openwrt.org/t/cake-w-adaptive-bandwidth-historic/108848 ) about cake-autorate and sqm-autorate, but ideally it would be fixed at a network level, just not sure how to apply pressure (I'm in contact with the T-Mobile Home Internet team, but I think this is above their heads).