[Make-wifi-fast] [Bloat] The most wonderful video ever about bufferbloat

Michael Richardson mcr+ietf at sandelman.ca
Wed Oct 19 17:46:59 EDT 2022

Stuart Cheshire via Bloat <bloat at lists.bufferbloat.net> wrote:
    >> I think the person with the cheetos pulling out a gun and shooting
    >> everyone in front of him (AQM) would not go down well.

    > Which is why starting with a bad analogy (people waiting in a grocery
    > store) inevitably leads to bad conclusions.

    > If we want to struggle to make the grocery store analogy work, perhaps
    > we show people checking some grocery store app on their smartphone
    > before they leave home, and if they see that a long line is beginning
    > to form they wait until later, when the line is shorter. The challenge
    > is not how to deal with a long queue when it’s there, it is how to
    > avoid a long queue in the first place.

Maybe if we regard the entire grocery store as the "pipe", then we would
realize that the trick to reducing checkout lines is to move the constraint
from exiting, to entering the store :-)

Then the different times you are in the store because you have different
amounts of shopping to do, etc. and you get txt messages from spouse to
remember to pick up X, and that somehow is an analogy to the various
"PowerBoost" cable and LTE/5G systems that provide for inconsistent
bandwidth.

(There are various pushes to actually do this, as the experience from COVID
was that having fewer people in the store pleased many people.)

--
Michael Richardson <mcr+IETF at sandelman.ca>, Sandelman Software Works
 -= IPv6 IoT consulting =-