[Make-wifi-fast] [Starlink] RFC: Latency test case text and example report.

Bob McMahon bob.mcmahon at broadcom.com
Tue Sep 13 15:25:21 EDT 2022

We find iperf2 <https://sourceforge.net/projects/iperf2/>'s
--tcp-write-prefetch at some small value can be trusted and eliminates send
side bloat. It sets TCP_NOTSENT_LOWAT. This probably should be used
generally as send side bloat adds no value to e2e traffic.

The iperf 2 bounce-back feature we find as useful too. It has both RTT
sampling (read network level RTTs) and app level round trip times in the
same sample report. You'll need version 2.1.8 for this. Openwrt doesn't
have a maintainer for iperf 2 and supports a very old version.

In general, this test seems contrived.  Also, probably a good idea to add
some variable phase shifters to the rig.  Use a 5 branch tree to produce
the distance matrices.  Anyway, a lot can be done on the RF side beyond
attenuators.

Pass/fail should be statistically based. Latency should be analyzed at the
tails of the distributions.

Bob

On Tue, Sep 13, 2022 at 12:09 PM Ben Greear via Make-wifi-fast <
make-wifi-fast at lists.bufferbloat.net> wrote:

> On 9/13/22 11:32 AM, Dave Taht wrote:
> > On Tue, Sep 13, 2022 at 9:57 AM Ben Greear <greearb at candelatech.com>
> wrote:

> gone

> others.
> >>>>

> http://www.candelatech.com/examples/TR-398v2-2022-06-05-08-28-57-6.2.6-latency-virt-sta-new-atf-c/

> http://www.candelatech.com/examples/TR-398v2-2022-06-05-08-28-57-6.2.6-latency-virt-sta-new-atf-c/chart-31.png

> >> That test was done with MTK virtual stations doing the station load
> (and multi-gig Eth port
> >> sending traffic towards the DUT in download direction).
> >
> > Openwrt driver or factory?
>
> I run my own kernel, but it would have been 5.17 plus a bunch of patches
> from mtk tree that
> owrt uses, plus my own hackings.
>

> > The last major patches for openwrt mt76 wifi landed aug 4, I think.
> > There are a few more under test now that the OS is stable.
> >
> >> My assumption is that much of the TCP latency is very likely caused on
> the
> >> traffic generator itself, so that is why we measure udp latency for
> pass/fail
> >> metrics.
> >
> > I fear a great deal of it is real, on the path, in the DUT. However
> > there is a lot in the local stack too.
> >
> > Here's some things to try. TCP small queues stops being effective (at
> > this rate) at oh, 8-12 flows,
> > and they start accruing in the stack and look like an RTT inflation.
> > A big help is to set TCP_NONSENT_LOWAT to a low value (16k).
> >
> > sch_fq is actually worse than fq_codel on the driving host as it too
> > accrues packets.
> >
> > Trying out tcp reno, and BBR on this workload might show a difference.
> > I wish LEDBAT++ was available for linux...
>
> I have not much interest in trying to get the traffic generator to report
> less TCP latency,
> by tuning the traffic generator because whatever it reports, I do not
> trust it to not be a
> significant part of the over-all end-to-end latency.
>
> So, better question for me is how to get precise info on TCP latency
> through the DUT for
> a generic traffic generator.
>
> We put sequence numbers and time-stamps in our traffic generator payloads,
> so we could
> use wireshark/tshark captures on Eth and WiFi to detect latency from when
> DUT would have received
> the pkt on Eth port and transmitted it on WiFi.  It would
> be...interesting...to take a multi-million packet
> capture of 32 stations doing 4 tcp streams each and try to make sense of
> that.  I don't think
> I'd want to spend time on that now, but if you'd like a pair of packet
> captures to try it yourself, I'd be happy
> to generate them and make them available.
>
> Or, if you have other ideas for how to test DUT tcp latency under
> load/scale without having to overly
> trust the packet generator's latency reporting, please let me know.

> [...]

This electronic communication and the information and any files transmitted
with it, or attached to it, are confidential and are intended solely for
the use of the individual or entity to whom it is addressed and may contain
information that is confidential, legally privileged, protected by privacy
laws, or otherwise restricted from disclosure to anyone else. If you are
not the intended recipient or the person responsible for delivering the
e-mail to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any use,
copying, distributing, dissemination, forwarding, printing, or copying of
this e-mail is strictly prohibited. If you received this e-mail in error,
please return the e-mail to the sender, delete it from your computer, and
destroy any printed copy of it.