[Make-wifi-fast] I used to dream of a single wifi cpu, memory, and I/O

Bob McMahon bob.mcmahon at broadcom.com
Mon Jul 10 16:47:32 EDT 2023

I think of it as a micro translational bridge, i.e. get 802.11 to 802.3 to
standard forwarding silicon (though some call it a "skinny" AP.) The "AP
split" is between managing MAC/frame things and MAC/PHY things. Try to
minimize the PHY knobs so the RRH can self-manage what's not been preset by
the installer. Remove the sw config stuff on the RRH too as it just adds
OPEX costs for limited benefit.

Others see it as "bluetooth p2p" model applied to WiFi,  but radio pairings
at low latency, low power and high throughputs - though this mental model
has some flaws too.

I think the EAP architecture is woefully broken. "Centralizing the
controllers" of distribution management isn't the same as *eliminating &
mitigating the need to manage complex distributed things.  *Linux computers
are complex, distributed things and don't belong in homes unless the home
is owned by a network and sys admin ;)

The closest models seem to be ECPRI used by 5G towers or the distributed
access architecture (DAA) of HFC.

FiWi will blow those out of the water by my judgment - though those are OSP
things and FiWi will start as an inside plant thing.  We just have to
figure out how to motivate humans as engineers & marketing experts to start
moving in this direction. It seems like a no brainer that consumers will
want to show off their "fiber" - inside plant, future proof, life support
capable, resilient to failures, & something that increases the property or
asset value of their primary investment. Maybe FTTH shouldn't be marketed
as "Fiber to the Home" but "Fiber through the Home" with no more wires for
comm anywhere?

Bob