[Make-wifi-fast] FiWi prototype - any interest?

rjmcmahon rjmcmahon at rjmcmahon.com
Wed Jun 14 20:25:46 EDT 2023

Hi All,

I'm wondering if there is any interest in a FiWi prototype. The remote
radio heads with 802.11 MAC lower & L2TPv3 backhaul would use Raspberry
pis. The AP would consist of a linux box running something like host apd
and have an integrated switch or maybe just be a vlan trunk. There would
be a bunch of new code I think.

I'm also thinking 10-20 RPIs placed near the smoke alarms to see how
well it scales. The prototype would use the 1G wired for the fronthaul.
Connecting to a vlan capable switch, with a 10G VLAN trunk. In a perfect
world, the STA/RRH would be 1/1 and we may be able to turn off the
probabilistic back-off but still use ED.

The primary goal is to assess the viability of the FiWi "head end."
Maybe try some virtualization with Vmware NSX too?

Contact me if you have a coding interest in such an open source project.
Feel free to forward to others.

Bob