[Make-wifi-fast] Any good 802.11ax chipsets?

Nils Andreas Svee me at lochnair.net
Mon Mar 20 10:41:43 EDT 2023

Hey folks

Hoped I could pick your brains a bit on this subject, as I'll be moving soon and am in the market for some new network HW.

Personally I'm not a heavy user of wireless devices for the most part, but I do own an Oculus Quest 2 that I sometimes use Air Link with (which streams VR games from your computer over the network), which comes with pretty hefty bandwidth requirements.

So typically 802.11ax routers are highly recommended, but as we know all too well, the extra bandwidth won't do much good if the queues are badly managed.

I seem to recall that the ath11k driver does not have fq_codel in it, but those chipsets does have some queue management on the firmware side?

On the cheaper end I've looked at Zyxel's NWA50AX APs [1], which sports a Mediatek MT7915 chip.
Doesn't look to the best range-wise, but at that price point I don't mind getting multiple of them to get good coverage and they look to be supported in OpenWrt master, so no need to worry about the likely less-than-stellar stock FW.

[1]: https://www.zyxel.com/no/no/products/wireless/802-11ax-wifi-6-dual-radio-poe-access-point-nwa50ax/specifications

Best Regards,
Nils