[Make-wifi-fast] a cheer up tweet for y'all

Bob McMahon bob.mcmahon at broadcom.com
Wed Jan 10 13:23:11 EST 2024

> Well, the original context of the question was "Linux WiFi drivers are
> terrible, what can we do about that", and, well, providing proper
> upstream drivers at HW launch is the way to solve that.

This is out of the scope of chip makers for modern chips. The os drivers
are written by system integrators - specialization has divided these tasks.
Chip makers don't affect open vs closed source drivers of systems.  Think
of a WiFi chip now as transistors with a small microcontroller and not a
linux NIC.

One can argue that chip makers don't provide documents to open-source
developers, which is mostly accurate. But documents aren't the blocker.

I think an open source community would have to innovate to a level to drive
the use of chips coming off a foundry line for a chip maker to consider
assigning resources to support open-source teams. Old chips with 10+ year
old NRE doesn't justify any investment by anyone.

I think the server market & structure & level of cloud innovation make
things different for ethernet NICs.

Bob

--
This electronic communication and the information and any files transmitted
with it, or attached to it, are confidential and are intended solely for