[NNagain] The FCC 2024 Section 706 Report, GN Docket No. 22-270 is out!

Livingood, Jason jason_livingood at comcast.com
Tue Feb 27 16:06:10 EST 2024

Interesting blog post on the latency part at https://broadbandbreakfast.com/untitled-12/.

Looking at the FCC draft report, page 73, Figure 24 – I find it sort of ridiculous that the table describes things as “Low Latency Service” available or not. That is because they seem to really misunderstand the notion of working latency. The table instead seems to classify any network with idle latency <100 ms to be low latency – which as Dave and others close to bufferbloat know is silly. Lots of these networks that are in this report classified as low latency would in fact have working latencies of 100s to 1,000s of milliseconds – far from low latency.

I looked at FCC MBA platform data from the last 6 months and here are the latency under load stats, 99th percentile for a selection of ten ISPs:
ISP A  2470 ms
ISP B  2296 ms
ISP C 2281 ms
ISP D 2203 ms