[NNagain] "FCC explicitly prohibits fast lanes, closing possible net neutrality loophole"

Mike Conlow mconlow at cloudflare.com
Fri May 10 11:08:39 EDT 2024

I'm sure this was a difficult thing to write a regulation on. I'm glad the
FCC took a swing. Here's why:

If the Internet community wants to [continue] to develop technologies where
applications (or users) can signal a need for low latency treatment and
other networks in the path can honor that need -- great.

But one of the networks in the chain -- the access network -- making the
determination of what types of traffic get the low latency treatment, in my
personal opinion is reasonably interpreted as throttling.

I think it's also worth noting that these rules only apply to last-mile
mass-market ISP plans. And any network is still free to offer "network
slicing" as an enterprise offering, which I'm sure they will.