[NNagain] "FCC explicitly prohibits fast lanes, closing possible net neutrality loophole"

Mike Conlow mconlow at cloudflare.com
Wed May 15 21:45:41 EDT 2024

It's important to remember that "reasonable network management" allows a
lot of the things being discussed as examples here. Specifically:

"As in past Orders, we continue to recognize that in order to optimize
> end-user experience, BIAS providers must be permitted to engage in
> reasonable network management practices." (para 499)

While I don't love the "speed up" language either, it seems clear from my
reading that these rules target the case where the ISP intervenes to apply
a traffic policy to certain types of traffic that are not open to any
application, thereby "throttling" the selected traffic w/r/t any other
traffic (and it's not reasonable network management because they're
charging the user).