[Rpm] Alternate definitions of "working condition" - unnecessary?

Christoph Paasch cpaasch at apple.com
Wed Oct 6 20:11:35 EDT 2021

On 10/07/21 - 02:18, Jonathan Morton via Rpm wrote:
> > On 7 Oct, 2021, at 12:22 am, Dave Taht via Rpm <rpm at lists.bufferbloat.net> wrote:
> > There are additional cases where, perhaps, the fq component works, and the aqm doesn't.
>
> Such as Apple's version of FQ-Codel?  The source code is public, so we might as well talk about it.

Let's not just talk about it, but actually read it ;-)

> There are two deviations I know about in the AQM portion of that.  First is that they do the marking and/or dropping at the tail of the queue, not the head.  Second is that the marking/dropping frequency is fixed, instead of increasing during a continuous period of congestion as real Codel does.

We don't drop/mark locally generated traffic (which is the use-case we care abhout).
We signal flow-control straight back to the TCP-stack at which point the queue
is entirely drained before TCP starts transmitting again.

So, drop-frequency really doesn't matter because there is no drop.

Christoph