[Rpm] Alternate definitions of "working condition" - unnecessary?

Jonathan Morton chromatix99 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 7 20:33:00 EDT 2021

> On 7 Oct, 2021, at 1:30 pm, Sebastian Moeller <moeller0 at gmx.de> wrote:
>
> I am also wondering how reducing the default number of sub-queues from 1024 to 128 behaves on the background of the birthday paradox

With 1024 queues, the 50% probability of a collision is expected at sqrt(1024) = 32 flows.  With 128, this decreases to about 11 or 12 flows (11*11 = 121; 12*12 = 144).

In both cases, onset of high collision probability could be staved off until a larger number of flows by using a collision-avoiding hash function, such as the set-associative hash used in Cake.

 - Jonathan Morton