[Rpm] Alternate definitions of "working condition" - unnecessary?

Toke Høiland-Jørgensen toke at toke.dk
Fri Oct 8 13:51:47 EDT 2021

Dave Taht <dave.taht at gmail.com> writes:

> On Thu, Oct 7, 2021 at 9:40 AM Toke Høiland-Jørgensen via Rpm
> <rpm at lists.bufferbloat.net> wrote:
>>
>> Jonathan Foulkes via Rpm <rpm at lists.bufferbloat.net> writes:
>>
>> > Let me add another tool, as it’s the one I use to ensure I measure
>> > full line capacity during our tuning tests. Netperf.
>> [...]
>> > But for research, I total agree Flent is great tool. Just wish it was
>> > easier to tweak parameters, maybe I just need to use it more ;-)
>>
>> Fun fact: I originally started working on Flent because I grew tired of
>> manually running 'netperf' tests. The original name was literally
>> 'netperf-wrapper' ;)
>>
>> The original idea was that you'd customise it by writing new test
>> definition files. Of course it has since turned out to be useful to
>> customise things more at runtime, and Flent has grown quite a few
>> features in that direction since. But the original legacy endures, so
>> there are certainly things you can only do by writing test definition
>> files.
>>
>> Anyway, specific feature requests are always welcome! :)
>
> I learned very painfully recently that using the gplv3 for anything
> results in a blanket ban for any use whatsoever at many companies.
> It might as well just be proprietary closed source code.
>
> I am not sure where to go from there, I recognise the 8+ years of work
> into flent make it into a tool that is vastly superior to
> anything else, but where it would do the most good - inside orgs
> building and testing new products - is prohibited by lawyers.

While I'm all for accommodating reasonable requests, I also prefer to
fix the root causes of problems. And in this case that's at layer 8:

Anyone whose lawyers tell them to not *use* Flent because of the GPLv3
license need to find themselves better lawyers. I did add a
clarification of this to the Flent documentation[0], but really it
shouldn't be necessary.

-Toke

[0] https://github.com/tohojo/flent/commit/d1a79eb227b050daf8137de0c8056a7ac85cd68b