[Rpm] Does RPM measurement *require* a valid SSL certificate

Toke Høiland-Jørgensen toke at toke.dk
Thu Oct 21 07:45:58 EDT 2021

Omer Shapira via Rpm <rpm at lists.bufferbloat.net> writes:

> 2. The notion that “it’s easy enough to stand up code to respond to
> HTTP” - this may be true, but the role of the server is not to just
> respond, it will have to actually saturate the link. This requires
> sufficient processing power to send the data at the required rate.
> Hence, the boxes that rely on a SOC to move the bytes, and have low
> power master CPU may not be able to saturate the link.

I'll add another complication to this, at least for Linux: TCP Small
Queues (TSQ). If the server responding to the requests is the AP, TSQ
can do a quite good job of keeping those streams from saturating the
queues of the WiFi interface, meaning you won't expose any bloat that
may be hiding there. This varies between implementations, but it's quite
possible to have an AP that has no bufferbloat when running a test
against a server on the AP itself, but is severely bloated when
forwarding packets.

-Toke