[Rpm] "Market" information about CPE from residential ISPs

Will Hawkins hawkinsw at obs.cr
Tue Jun 14 17:35:07 EDT 2022

Hello everyone!

I hope that this list is an acceptable venue for this question. I
apologize if it is not. The student who is doing research on the
open-source implementation of the RPM client this summer is analyzing
whether the measurements are affected by hardware specifications of
the platform where the test is running. We are particularly targeting
embedded devices. We have already gathered some very interesting
results on MIPS- and ARM-based devices (and found and fixed a few bugs
as a result) but really would like to test on something that many
people have.

Under the assumption that residential ISPs may want to embed an RPM
client on their CPE to monitor their own network, we are trying to
determine the most common hardware platforms of these devices so that
we can either a) run tests on comparably powerful hardware or b) run
tests on our own exact copies of these devices.

Does anyone know where we could get information on the most common
hardware configurations for CPEs?

Thanks in advance!
Will