[Rpm] [ippm] lightweight active sensing of bandwidth and buffering

rjmcmahon rjmcmahon at rjmcmahon.com
Wed Nov 2 15:29:22 EDT 2022

Most measuring bloat are ignoring queue build up phase and rather start
taking measurements after the bottleneck queue is in a standing state.

My opinion, the best units for bloat is packets for UDP or bytes for
TCP. Min delay is a proxy measurement.

Little's law allows one to compute this though does assume the network
is in a stable state over the measurement interval. In the real world,
this probably is rarely true. So we, in test & measurement engineering,
force the standing state with some sort of measurement co-traffic and
call it "working conditions" or equivalent. ;)

Bob