[Rpm] [LibreQoS] benton's consumer broadband label prototype

dan dandenson at gmail.com
Wed Oct 26 11:42:48 EDT 2022

My argument here is more about government inadequacies.  Without government
warning labels for internet service we have a massive streaming industry,
gaming industry, home office workers, and so on.  It's imperfect, but the
fact that many of us complain about how kids are stuck in front of an xbox
playing fortnite... well I guess it's working to some degree.

Government's ability to regulate and protect consumers that already exists
just isn't utilized, ie if you say you sell X, you give X else void
contract and potential refunds of up-front costs.   In the US at least, the
government's decision making process has fed the 'bad' companies 3000-4000
per subscriber to build out services that don't address the underserved
anyway.  All of this money thrown out there by the government making their
decisions and they've not moved the needle at all.

IMO, very simple rules on advertising based on delivering what is claimed
will force industry innovation.  If a company says 'fast' and that term is
too broad, then any attack on 'my latency is crap so this isn't fast' could
lead to refunds.  This is capitalism after all.   Maybe companies should
have to say 'best throughput' if they are trying to hyper their 1G or 2G
service, they can't say 'fast' because that's not really a valid measure.
'great low latency services' instead of fast.    We have the language to
market properly but companies are allowed to market vaguely and it IMO
contributes to consumer ignorance and misunderstanding.

For our 'fiber like' services we literally pitch latencies to various
gaming services and zoom relays.