[Rpm] [LibreQoS] benton's consumer broadband label prototype

Jonathan Morton chromatix99 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 26 12:10:01 EDT 2022

> On 26 Oct, 2022, at 6:09 pm, dan via Rpm <rpm at lists.bufferbloat.net> wrote:
>
> Also, my trust in the government to decide what's good or bad... laughable.    You'd get things like on the example page.  903.5Mbps Median download speed, 811.8 Median upload speed, gaming rating poor and video conferencing marginal, on Fios service.  I know that's an example, but it's so spot on what the government might do...

It's constructed as an example, and thus probably doesn't directly reflect any single service that actually exists.

The suitability rating for gaming and videoconferencing is undoubtedly derived from the packet loss rate, listed as 0.5% under "normal" conditions and over 5% under 10th-percentile conditions (which would occur pretty often, almost daily), and the high latency in the latter case (over 300ms).  If I had a connection like that, I'd be pretty unhappy with its performance, no matter how much throughput it could get.

 - Jonathan Morton