[Rpm] [Starlink] [Bloat] the grinch meets cloudflare'schristmas present

rjmcmahon rjmcmahon at rjmcmahon.com
Thu Jan 5 21:33:44 EST 2023

> _[RR] ... IMO, a more useful concept of latency is the
> excess transit time over the theoretical minimum that results from all
> the real-world "interruptions" in the transmission path(s) including
> things like regeneration of optical signals in long cables, switching
> of network layer protocols in gateways (header manipulation above
> layer 4), and yes, of course, buffering in switches and routers __J
> These are things that can be "minimized" by appropriate system design
> (the topic of these threads actually!).  "

I think this is worth repeating. Thanks for pointing it out. (I'm
wondering if better inline network telemetry can also help forwarding
planes use tech like segment routing to bypass and mitigate any
"temporal interruptions.")

> The only way to decrease transit time is to "go wireless everywhere,
> eliminate our atmosphere,
> and then get physically closer to each other"! __J Like it or not, we
> live in a Lorentz-ian space-time continuum also know as "our world"

This reminds me of the spread networks approach (who then got beat out
by microwave for HFT.)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spread_Networks

"According to a WIRED article, the estimated roundtrip time for an
ordinary cable is 14.5 milliseconds, giving users of Spread Networks a
slight advantage. However, because glass has a higher refractive index
than air (about 1.5 compared to about 1), the roundtrip time for fiber
optic cable transmission is 50% more than that for transmission through
the air. Some companies, such as McKay Brothers, Metrorede and
Tradeworx, are using air-based transmission to offer lower estimated
roundtrip times (8.2 milliseconds and 8.5 milliseconds respectively)
that are very close to the theoretical minimum possible (about 7.9-8
milliseconds)."

Bob