[Rpm] [Starlink] Researchers Seeking Probe Volunteers in USA

Sebastian Moeller moeller0 at gmx.de
Fri Jan 13 02:44:57 EST 2023

Hi RR

On 12 January 2023 22:57:32 CET, Dick Roy <dickroy at alum.mit.edu> wrote:
>FYI .
>

>https://www.fiercewireless.com/tech/cbrs-based-fwa-beats-starlink-performanc
>e-madden

[SM] He is so close:
'Speed tests don’t tell us much about the capacity of the network, or the reliability of the network, or the true latency with larger packet sizes. Packet loss testing can help to fill in key missing information to give the end customer the smooth experience they’re looking for.'
and
'Packets received over 250 ms latency are considered too late to be useful for video conferencing.'

He actually reports both loss numbers and delay > 250ms, so in spite arguing that loss is the relevant metric he already dips his toes into the latency issue... I wonder whether his view will refine over time now that he apparently moved from a link with 8% packet loss to one with a more sane 0.1% loss rate (no idea how he measured lossrate though, or latency). I guess this shows that there is no single solution for all links, it really matters where one starts which of throughput, delay, loss is the most painful and hence the dimension in need of a fix first.

Regards
        Sebastian