[Rpm] [Starlink] Researchers Seeking Probe Volunteers in USA

Dick Roy dickroy at alum.mit.edu
Fri Jan 13 03:26:56 EST 2023

  _____

From: Sebastian Moeller [mailto:moeller0 at gmx.de]
Sent: Thursday, January 12, 2023 11:33 PM
To: dickroy at alum.mit.edu; Dick Roy
Cc: 'Rodney W. Grimes'; mike.reynolds at netforecast.com; 'libreqos'; 'David P.
Reed'; 'Rpm'; 'rjmcmahon'; 'bloat'
Subject: RE: [Starlink] [Rpm] Researchers Seeking Probe Volunteers in USA

Hi RR,

Thanks for the detailed response below, since my point is somewhat
orthogonal I opted for top-posting.
Let me take a step back here and rephrase, synchronising clocks within an
acceptable range to be useful is not rocket science nor witchcraft. For
measuring internet traffic 'millisecond' range seems acceptable, local
networks can probably profit from finer time resolution. So I am not after
e.g. clock synchronisation to participate in SDH/SONET. Heck in the toy
project I am active in, we operate on load dependent delay deltas so we even
ignore different time offsets and are tolerant to (mildly) different
tickrates and clock skew, but it would certainly be nice to have some
acceptable measure of UTC from endpoints to be able to interpret timestamps
as 'absolute'. Mind you I am fine with them not being veridical absolute,
but just good enough for my measurement purpose and I guess that should be
within the range of the achievable. Heck, if all servers we query timestamps
of would be NTP-'synchronized' and would follow the RFC recommendation to
report timestamps in milliseconds past midnight UTC I would be happy.

[RR] Yup!  All true. Hence my post that obviously passed this one in the
ether! :-) :-)

Regards
        Sebsstian