[Starlink] [Bloat] Of interest: Comcast AQM Paper

Juliusz Chroboczek jch at irif.fr
Wed Aug 4 14:31:08 EDT 2021

Hi Mikael,

> If it's not hw accelerated, it sucks.

Fortunately, that hasn't been true in a long time.  Two data points.

The WND3700v2/WNDR3800, which is now over ten years old, can easily
forward 400Mbit/s NATed IPv4 (max-sized packets) in software.  To be fair,
it can saturate 1Gbit/s with hardware offload.

A Cortex-A53 SoC at 1GHz with correctly designed Ethernet (i.e. not the
Raspberry Pi) can push 1Gbit from userspace without breaking a sweat.

I agree with you that hardware acceleration has a number of advantages,
but given the speed of modern embedded chips, there is no longer much
reason to give up the flexibility and ease of development of pure software
solutions just to save a couple hundred mW, at least not until we get
10Gbit/s CPEs.

-- Juliusz